Friday, November 12, 2010

It Takes a Village -- A Non-HDM Village, That Is

What does HDM mean? It's short for Hierarchy-Dualism-Monism (hence the need for a simpler moniker that people can actually remember and pronounce). But I'll come back to that in a minute.  

2017 marks the 150th anniversary of Canada’s founding as a nation. I found this Canadian maple leaf, a “mosaic” created from waxy leaf begonias, at one of Toronto’s soul-healing public gardens. It reminds me of what Canada is all about. Photo credit JAT 2017.

First I want to say thank you to the people of my village -- Canada. I want to say how grateful I am to the people here. I'm totally aware that I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being a practising ethical mystic if I didn't live in a community of people who just blow me away with their compassion, common sense, and high ethical standards. 

 It's been common for the mystics of history to thank God for the blessings of their journey, and sometimes there's also been praise for specific religious mentors or spiritual teachers who have guided the initiate along the way.  

But I think it's bigger than that. A mystic doesn't sprout up from nowhere. I think it's important to look at the whole context of a person's upbringing before you can understand his or her spiritual context. If each person is, metaphorically speaking, a plant growing within a much larger garden, you need to know what kind of garden that person grew up in. Not just the immediate family environment (although that's very important, of course), but the wider community environment. You need to know about the village which raised the child. What lessons did the village teach the child as he or she was growing up?  

The village I grew up in -- Canada, and more specifically the province of Ontario -- was a place where people didn't always agree, where political arguments were fought on major issues, where the painful lessons of recent history were still being processed and incorporated into both the law books and the daily lives of Canadians (lessons that stemmed from two World Wars and the Great Depression). The tension between French Canadian and English Canadian interests created several political and cultural firestorms as I was growing up. More recently, First Nations interests have reminded us that we all have to try harder to be a more inclusive, respectful society. 

But we've got a few things right here. We have a pretty workable balance between the rights of the individual and the rights of the community, the responsibilities of the individual and the responsibilities of the community. We make mistakes, to be sure, but we're open to the idea that we've made mistakes, and we're open to the idea that mistakes can be fixed. So together we try to fix them.  

We have publicly funded education and publicly funded health care that's accessible to most Canadians. (I'm not going to say "accessible to all Canadians" because the truth is that some people are slipping through the cracks. But slow progress is being made.)  

As a woman, I can attest to the fact that I've had the kind of opportunities that few women have had throughout the course of history or culture. Like many Canadian women, I've had two major blessings: the blessing of choice and the blessing of safety. Because my village was saying it was okay for me to choose, I was able to choose my own life path -- my own education, my own husband, my own family size, my own career. Because my village was saying it was NOT okay for me, as a woman, to be abused, I was able to feel safe (most of the time) as I walked (literally and figuratively) down the streets of my community.  

I didn't create these blessings for myself. My village (including my family of origin) created the environment that allowed these blessings to flourish for me and for others. My role, as an individual, is to appreciate these blessings, to give back to others what I myself have received, and to teach those who follow (i.e. the younger generation) how to live with compassion, common sense, and high ethical standards.  

Only after I began to explore philosophy -- a necessary part of being a true mystic -- did I come to understand that Canada is one of a small number of countries in the world whose culture is not bound together by one of the HDM myths that have plagued civilization since the get-go.  

You can have a reasonable, balanced dialogue with a typical Canadian on just about any inflammatory topic such as homosexuality, refugee rights, gay marriage, gun registration, and access to health care, and you won't come away from the discussion in fear of your life (not usually, anyway). You don't have to worry that a religious or military death squad will show up in the middle of the night and take you away. (Unfortunately, advocates for social justice in other parts of the world still face these profoundly inhumane threats on an ongoing basis, as a perusal of any Amnesty International newsletter will quickly reveal.)  

There are several reasons why Canada is a safer place, on the whole, in comparison to many other countries. One important reason is that most Canadians don't get up each day and volunteer to put their brains through a meat grinder.  

Yes, a meat grinder. HDM myths act like a meat grinder on your biological brain. You put a perfectly good holistically balanced brain/body/heart/soul into one end of the grinder, and out comes status-addicted mincemeat at the other end.  

Ooo, yummy.  

Sure, this kind of damage doesn't happen overnight. It takes years, years of being told that you and your village are "better" than other people and other villages, and have therefore been chosen by God to save everybody else (i.e. Hierarchy). Or years of being told you and your village are "good/right," whereas all other people and all other villages are "evil/wrong" (i.e. Dualism). Or years of being told that there's actually only one village in the entire world, and all people are required to belong to it (i.e. Monism). These myths are abusive -- spiritually, emotionally, and psychologically abusive. Eventually, they also become physically abusive.  

Where's my proof?  

Here's my proof. 

In the early to mid-20th century, a group of Germans got it into their heads that they ("Aryans") were "better" than other people and other villages, and they also got into their heads that they were God's chosen people who deserved to rule. This myth of Hierarchy led to the European Holocaust.  

In 1994, a group of Hutus in Rwanda got it into their heads that Hutus were "good/right" and Tutsis, along with peaceful Hutus, were "evil/wrong" people who deserved to die. This myth of Dualism led to the Rwandan Genocide. 

In the 1970's, a group of Cambodians in the Khmer Rouge Communist Party got it into their heads that it was okay to execute, starve, and more or less enslave anyone who was unsympathetic to the new ideals of "radical equality." This myth of Monism led to the Cambodian Holocaust.  

These examples are only the tip of the proverbial iceberg. Unfortunately, our history books contain all too many examples of mass suffering and oppression created by human leaders whose brains were/are totally addicted to the status that comes from these myths. It explains why these leaders seem to us to be psychopaths. They are psychopaths. They're psychopaths because they've stopped listening to their own inner wisdom -- their own soul -- and instead have started listening to the "voice" of status addiction. 

For status addicts, the very idea of balance in a political system is anathema. 

In contrast, there's no hierarchy to be "proven" in a social democracy where people willingly pay taxes (within reason, of course) to cover the cost of roads, schools, and hospitals. There's no dualism to be "justified" in a social democracy that embraces a multi-party system of government held to account through transparency, checks and balances, ethics commissioners, and law courts. There's no room for monism to even be considered in a social democracy that builds its laws and conventions on that sturdiest of all foundations: human rights legislation that respects and values the differences among people of different ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, etc. 

It's true that within Canada there are some smaller HDM villages, some places and some groups and even some religious communities that have fallen prey to the HDM myths. But, as a whole, we seem to want to work together as a team to build a non-hierarchical, non-dualistic, non-monistic society. And that's a good thing. 

See you at Tim's!

No comments: